Pages

Friday 26 July 2013

book smart vs. street smart

H is as straight as a fiddle. He does not lie (not that lying is a good thing) but having a little craftiness is important when you face the real cruel world. Can street smartness be taught, or is it something of an in-born trait? L is the total opposite. She speaks with confidence and conviction, even if it's not true.

A while back I devised this incentive system for the kids. One of the chores they have to do to earn stars is to put away their toys after playing. Every night before going to bed, I'll ask the kids if they did what they were supposed to and rewarded them with stars.

Me: Did you put away your toys after you play?

The response I get will be totally different. For H, unless he's absolutely certain he did, he will always hesitate. "I'm not sure, ask kakak"

For L, she's always certain. "Sure I did. Look around you, it's so clean!" Of course we all know it's not true, cos by the time I get home, kakak would have already cleaned up the place for the night. Kakak, on hearing L will shout out "No you didn't!", to which L will rebuke, "Yes I did! You cannot say I didn't." That's my bossy little girl in action.

I also have this rule that the kids are not allowed to play with the i-pad on weekdays. One day as soon as I got home, H came running to me apologising, "I'm sorry mommy!" I was shocked and asked him what was the matter and he said "I played with the i-pad at po-po's house." That is really taking honesty to a different level - i.e. self confession!

Me: Did you play with the i-pad too, mei mei?
L: Nope!
H: Yes she did...

Honesty and integrity are great values that should be encouraged. I need to teach L about honesty, while instilling some street smartness into H. The former should be easy, but I have no clue whatsoever on how to tackle the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment