Pages

Friday 28 September 2012

to med or not to med

After being a momster for 4 years now, I sill find myself in a dilemma whenever my kids fall sick. Should I dose them up with medicine? Perhaps I was brought up in an almost 'drug-free' environment - my folks never believed in western medicine nor doctors. Somehow this has manifested as distrust for drugs in me. So anyway, both my little boy and girl have been coughing for the longest time and I've never really thought much of it. They seem to be fine, still as active and playful as ever, which must be a good sign.

Nanny S who is taking care of little L has been asking me to take her to the doctor. My answer to her was always it's ok lah school-going children fall sick all the time. Until yesterday night it was, when she told me that little L seemed a little warm to the touch. So we took her temperature. It showed 38C. Another dilemma. Should I give her fever med? It's just a slight temperature and she seems perfectly ok. Could it be due to the excessive running around causing her body temperature to temporarily rise? In the end I decided to give her a controlled dose of paracetomol suspension since it was bedtime and I didn't want to have to wake up in the middle of the night finding her in high fever.

Hubs always scolds me for being kiam-siap (stingy) with medicine. It's not that I'm kiam-siap. I just don't want them to be dosed up with drugs. Funnily both my kids love taking medicine - I don't know what is so yummy with those syrupy mixture. Especially H, he will actually ask me to give him medicine whenever he has the slightest cough or runny nose. My answer to him was always a curt no need, a little runny nose/cough is ok.

Am I being a mean momster mom who's depriving her kids of needed medicine? Dilemma... Dilemma!!

No comments:

Post a Comment