Pages

Thursday 21 February 2013

chores and pocket money

Ever since H got his new wallet, he's been bugging me every evening (when I come home from work) for a 'job' so that he gets paid. My little H is quite a money face (must have gotten the genes from  Hubs). Here are come of the conversations that have transpired since he came to possession of his wallet.

On the first night
After I told H I will think of something for him to do, he told Daddy, "Mummy will give me a job tomorrow and you can pay me RM8-RM9 for it." Wah since when do kids get paid RM9 for a chore. I'm not sure how he arrived at that figure but he surely won't be paid more than RM1.

The second day
H: Mommy what is this for? <showing me the card compartment in his wallet>
Me: That's for you to put your cards
H: I don't have a card. Can you give me a credit card?

Wah, credit card? Hell no!!

H's first chore
It's really not easy to think of a chore since kakak does almost everything and we don't want him to get the wrong impression that he'd get paid for doing routine things, things that he's meant to do anyway. And after much bugging (and to make sure he's doesn't lose interest), I asked him to help me clean up my wadrobe. He wasn't much of a help to be honest but I paid him RM1 at the end of it. On hind sight, I should have only given him 50 cents. Now he must think that chores are such easy peasy way to make money.

Yesterday
H: Can you give me a job again?
Me: You don't get chores everyday.
H: But I want.... <started whining>
Me: Chores cannot be too easy for you to earn money <oopss said it too fast too soon>
H: But I want easy, I don't want difficult. You must have different types. RM1 for easy, RM3 for medium, RM5 for difficult.

Wah, can bargain summore!

Me: Nope. RM1 is maximum. If it's easy you only get 50 cents.

Then he asked me for another card since there are more than one card compartment. After digging through my cardholder, I could only find one 'useless' card (a loyalty card we got from the biscuit company when we bought our CNY cookies).

Me: There you go, you can have this cute little biscuit shop card.
H: To buy biscuits?
Me: Yes.
H: You mean if we buy biscuit and we don't have enough money to pay we give the card?

Alamak!!! He thinks it's a cookie credit card... hahahaha!

Me: Nope, you can't pay using the card but you can get a discount!

I'm starting to think that this whole chores and pocket money idea is not such a good idea after all. Perhaps I need to change my strategy to make it easier else I'm gonna be bombarded with endless request for chores every evening (and overpaying for simple stuff which defeats the purpose of teaching him that earning money is hard work).

No comments:

Post a Comment