Pages

Wednesday 22 January 2014

Sleep training

Training L to sleep on her own seemed to be easier than I imagined. It's been a week plus now and she's already sleeping on her own. I think this has very much to do with her personality. How should I describe her? Hmmm... can't say she's as brave as her brother cos she doesn't like the dark and would never ever venture upstairs on her own if everyone's downstairs. "I'm too scared!" she always says. So I figured it must be her kiasu-ness that made up for her fear of the dark. She's one who never admits defeat, and loves to show off.

The first two nights, I had to stay with her until she fell asleep. 

The next two nights, she became more confident. Although still a little scared of the dark, she insisted she can sleep on her own but as soon as we left the room she came out and started sobbing quietly, not wanting to alert anyone. 

Lots of praise and encouragement went on. "Mummy's so proud of you. Although you were scared but you still tried to sleep on your own!"

Big brother H also chipped in "Kor kor is also so proud of you!"

We then got her a night light and set up the baby monitor in her room.

"See, now you have light so your room's not dark anymore. And you don't have to come out of your room if you need anything, you just need to sit up in your bed and call and we'll hear you!"

She was extremely fascinated with the baby monitor, running between her room and the nanny's room to test if it worked.

And the next few nights were a breeze. "You can go back to your room, I can sleep on my own!"

And that was it, L's sleep training is done!!!  So proud of my little girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment