Pages

Wednesday 26 December 2012

Entrance assessment

It seems like I'm busier than ever when I don't go to work. The kids have been all over me I don't even have time to blog.

Last Wednesday, we took H for the school entrance assessment. It was the last assessment for the year to make it into Jan 2013 intake. I really don't know why they had to start the assessment so early (at 9am), and we had to travel all the way to Cheras. Since both hubs and I weren't familiar with the place, we thought we'd better leave early. H was really well prepped. There was an unusual sense of maturity in him that morning. He was up and having breakfast all by himself by the time I got out of the room (and ready to wake him up). Then he got into the car without any fuss, knowing we were going to the big school. We didn't tell him he was going for an entrance assessment, rather he was required to do some worksheets with some other children so that the teachers know how much he's learnt and can teach him new things. He seemed ok with the idea.

We arrived about 15 minutes early and there were some children training in the pool. H was fascinated to watch them swim laps. I told him that he'll be also taught how to swim just like those big kor kor and cheh cheh.  Swimming is compulsory and is part of the core curriculum. When it was time to go into the room, he happily sat down on the table labelled with his name. I was rather surprised he didn't insist that we stayed in the room with him.

First was the Math paper. I think it must be rather easy. I sneaked a glance and saw a few questions, e.g. colouring the bigger of 2 numbers in the squares, filling in the missing number in the sequence, etc. I wasn't sure if there were any equations (i.e. additions and subtractions) but when I asked H at the end of the assessment how was the Math paper, he said there was no Math paper. I guess he associates Math with equations, so no equation means no Math.

When we went in to sneak a peek at him after 10 minutes, he's finished his Math paper and was given the English paper. That was really quick. Other kids were still working on their Math paper. Great, that means we can head home early! So I thought. After about half an hour, I told hubs to go check on him. Hubs came back laughing, H was busy 'decorating' his name with different colours, and he's not started on his paper. The thing about H, he sometimes needs to be given instructions. I guess the teacher just handed him the paper and he didn't know what to do.. hehehe. So he just sat there and wrote his name, then got bored and started 'decorating' his name. One of the teachers then came and gave him instructions (I guess she finally noticed him sitting there bored). Hubs said the paper was quite difficult. Obviously you can't expect a 4 year old to know grammar. They are also tested on their reading ability. Hubs didn't stay long to watch so we don't really know what other questions were in the paper.

The last paper was supposed to be the Science paper. What would a 4 year old know about science I really am not sure. But after about 15 minutes from when he actually started doing his English paper H came out. We asked if he was done he said yes. Hmmm... we asked if he did the Science paper he said he didn't know. Alamak <slaps forehead>! That's also another thing with H, you really can't get any proper answers from him. We asked him what was in his Science paper he said he doesn't know, it's a secret. So we asked the teacher if we can go, she said yes, he's done. So I guess he was really done.

On the way back I asked H why didn't he start doing the English paper. He said he didn't know what to do. I guess you can't expect kids that age to be able to read instructions. I asked him why didn't he ask the teacher. He said they were busy with other kids. Aiyoh this H really should learn how to be more assertive. I then told him next time he should put up his hand otherwise the teacher won't know he needs help.

Anyway we are glad it's over and really proud of H for being so independent :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment