Pages

Wednesday 9 January 2013

Communicating with your child's school

I believe it is extremely important for 2-way communications, between parents and teachers and vice versa. I must admit, however, that I'm not very good at doing so since we're pretty much 'outsourcers'. We've never really spoken to H's previous teachers in his preschool apart from the bi-annual progress report day (ok maybe another 1-2 times in addition over the course of one year). His previous preschool was extremely good at keeping parents informed about the kids, i.e. what they did in school, etc. So where am I heading?

In the last week or so since the start of H's new school, I find that parents-teachers communication is somewhat lacking. Although I'm not one for micromanaging, I must say I feel a little out of touch with the school. This is despite the fact that they have this changgih virtual learning environment in which all parents can log in to find out about everything related to the school and their children (but I find it more a public announcement platform than anything else for now).

Here are my big and not so big grouses:
  1. We've not been introduced to his teachers. I mean I know who his class teachers are (there are 2 dedicated class teachers for each reception class), but I have no clue who his other subject teachers are. In H's previous preschool, we were introduced to all the teachers taking his class by means of a short introduction in the welcome letter.
  2. We have no clue what the kids are being fed. In most preschools (or the better ones at least), parents are given a weekly menu so that we can be assured that the kids are fed wholesome food. I wasn't too bothered about getting the menu until I found out from H that they are given syrup as drinks and some purple jelly as dessert. This is really not acceptable since we're paying good money. The least the school can do is to ensure the kids get properly fed.
  3. We're not kept informed about what the kids are doing in (and outside) class. In H's previous preschool, we get a weekly update on the kids' activities. It is not that I really read them, but it's good to know that the teachers did do their work. Also helps parents to communicate with their child cos with H, whenever we ask him what he did in school, his answer is a definite I don't know
As much as I dislike to micromanage, I wrote a nice email to the school to raise my concerns about the school food. The principal called me back almost immediately to assure me that they do take the food matters seriously and will monitor what is being served. Apparently the canteen operator is new and they are still observing him. According to her, the approved menu has no sugary drinks, only milk and juices. It's good that the school take on feedback positively, but I shall still monitor on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment