Pages

Tuesday 15 January 2013

screen time ruling

I often get questioned when I tell people that I limit my kids' screen time, i.e. time spent in front of the tv, computer or ipad.

Why so strict? They're kids mah, just let them enjoy!

It's sometimes hard to explain why I'm being so anal about this. I normally am quite relaxed when it comes to governing my kids, but when it comes to screen time, there's really no compromising. It's not that I don't allow them to watch tv or play video games, they do, but I try to limit their screen time. The problem with kids these days is that they get bored easily. Why? Cos they don't know how to entertain themselves. They're so used to being entertained by tv programmes, video games, etc. No doubt there are good educational programmes and games out there but I'm a traditionist. I still believe in the old fashion way of learning, i.e. through hands on exploration.

Less screen time = more active and creative play!

A case example. On our journey back to Johor last weekend, hubs decided to bring along the ipad in case the kids make noise, then we can hand them the ipad to keep them quiet. Bad move. Since we only have one ipad, they started quarrelling over it. When they aren't quarrelling, they aren't talking to each other since one of them was completely engrossed in the game. After I took away the ipad, H started complaining he was bored. He has never complained of being bored on road trips (we've never given them the ipad). He would always come up with games to play in the car. So I said "think of a game then, you're very good in thinking up games". H then came up with a game. We played for a bit then both of them started another game of silly joke making which made them giggled and laughed non-stop. Wasn't that more enjoyable? Since we hardly have time to spend with the kids, we should use such moments for family bonding by sharing laughters, etc!

There are so many things kids can do away from the screen, like playing outdoors, engaging in pretend play, reading or in my kids' case, being read to, etc. These are what H and L do everyday after school. They just love engaging in pretend play.

Less screen time = less social, mental and health problems!

H's previous preschool teacher told me once that after every school holiday, the kids would come back zombified. She said you can tell from their eyes that they've spent the entire holiday in front of the screen. TV, game console, ipad, etc are great babysitters, but use them with caution. A growing body of research links excessive television viewing to attention and learning difficulties. The reason? Most television programming, even some of the educational variety, features quick edits, flashing images and rapid sequences, as opposed to the slower pace of "real life". After prolonged exposure to tv, which conditions the mind to expect rapid-fire stimulation, kids may have difficulty staying focused  when they turn their attention to something slower, like reading a book.

Then of course there are the gadget inflicted health problems such as "ipad elbow", stiff neck, eye strain, etc. Adults may be able to take preventive measures to avoid any painful experience but the same can't be said for kids. I just can't count the number of times I have to tell the kids to lean back, don't put your face so close to the ipad, etc.

I'm not saying don't let your kids watch tv or play video games, just use your common sense and practice moderation!

No comments:

Post a Comment