Pages

Wednesday 2 January 2013

H's first day in school

H is finally in a big school. I'm still not sure if we made the right decision, he's still such a baby and we're putting him through the stress of a big school.

Woke him up at 6:30am to beat the morning traffic. Left the house at 7am. The traffic was clear, not sure if this is normal or everyone's still having their break. Will try leaving a little later tomorrow. Since the traffic was clear, we arrived at 7:30am. H was the first one to arrive in class. As we walked towards the school from the parking area, I made it a point to show him where he'll be dropped off (mommy can't be walking him into class every morning, he has to learn his way), where he'll be picked up (you need to wait for po-po here after class, don't run around everywhere), and how to get to his classroom from the drop off area (remember yah this is the way to your classroom).

Amidst his calm appearance, I could sense that he was still a little terrified of being in the big school. I could almost sense him holding back tears although he didn't cry. As soon as one of his other classmates arrived, I told him I'll be waiting around in the canteen (oh here's your friend, mommy will be waiting in the canteen, you stay here and play with your friend ok). He seemed fine with the idea. Sat with another parent in the canteen till about 8am, then I went to check on him. He was doing colouring while waiting for his other friends to arrive. I went in and told him I had to go and that po-po will take him from school later. I then gave him a hug and left.

I hope he's coping ok. Unfortunately I have a lunch meeting today so can't pop by to check on him during lunch. Hopefully once the lessons start, he'll feel much better since he loves learning. It must be hard for him to be in class and not knowing anyone especially since he's not the proactive type in making friends. My poor little boy is forced to grow up. There's so much (living skills) he needs to learn, like eating and going to the toilet by himself, changing, etc. During orientation on Monday, he did not go to the toilet cos he didn't know how to take off his pants. He's so used to wearing pants with elastic band which he can just pull up and down that he doesn't know how to unbuckle his pants. Poor thing. I had to give him a crash course on buckling and unbuckling his pants. Then of course there's PE and swimming lessons, so he'll also need to know how to change into and out of his PE shirt/pants and swimsuit. Sigh... I guess we'll just have to take it one step at a time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment