Pages

Friday 12 October 2012

weaning off milk bottle

I'm weaning H off his milk bottle. He keeps biting the bottle teat and it's getting way too expensive for me to replace the teats every other day. So enough is enough. I told H I'm not buying anymore new teats, he's a big boy now and big boys drink from cups. So far so good - it's been 2 days since the no-bottle rule started. He's not resisting since he's always proclaiming to be a big boy. There are however two problems with H drinking from the cup.

  1. He drinks too slowly. So when we're in a rush (especially in the mornings) I cannot just give him the milk bottle and ask him to drink in the car. At night when I put him to bed, I cannot just give him the bottle and leave. I have to sit and wait for him to finish to take the cup from him
  2. He often spills his milk since he drinks and talks at the same time. This is especially troublesome since I'll have to change him again, or worse, I'll have to change the bedsheet / sofa cover (depending on where he drinks his milk). Now I've resorted to making him sit on the floor when he drinks his milk
This is not the first time we imposed the no-bottle rule. In fact, we did so when H was 3 but we sort of regressed after a week or so since Po-Po was concerned that H wasn't drinking as much milk without the bottle. Maybe milk doesn't taste as good in a cup, or kids are simply 'addicted' to bottle sucking (I think it has a calming effect on kids) and not so much the milk itself.

So it's a balance between spending money on teats vs. convenience vs. drink more milk. I guess you can't win it all... hehehe... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment