Pages

Wednesday 31 October 2012

H's whininess is driving me nuts

H has been behaving really well for the longest time and I thought he's finally graduated into being a big boy until recently. I'm not sure why, but for the past few weeks he's suddenly become all whiny again and it's driving me nuts! My patience has run out and last night, I just couldn't help it and gave him a hard long lecture while getting him ready for bed. And since I wasn't in my nicest mode, I must have been a little rough with him (I was yanking his T-shirt over his head and as the collar opening was a little small it got stuck). Suddenly he burst out crying "mommy you hurt me".  I'm sure it didn't really hurt, he was just taken aback over me scolding him. Without thinking (which I regretted immediately) I snapped back at him, "mommy can't be nice if you keep making mommy upset".  I then had to recollect myself, apologised to him and continued giving him the lecture in a nice and gentle manner.

Being a mom is a real test of patience. I have to remind myself to always keep calm which is not always easy to do. How else can you teach your kids to speak nicely if all they ever hear is you yelling at them? How can you build positive self-esteem in your kids if all they ever hear is you telling them they aren't good enough? I try to be as mindful as I can when choosnig the words I use with my kids but sometimes it's easier said than done.

No comments:

Post a Comment